August 29Bringing Home the Baby
Its nearing 8 months since January 3rd 2007, the day since my baby boy DJ was born. It is quite a long period for a new born baby to be at its maternal grandparent’s home. 8 Months. But it was me who decided this long stay. Being the irresponsible me, I didnt want to take any risks in case of an emergency.
Now that the baby is old enough and is as stable as linux , we are bringing home the baby.
August 28Email vs RSS Feeds
The debate rages on comparing email and RSS feeds. Lets face it their are benefits associated with each and downsides as well. Email and RSS really are different communication mediums and they are designed for different purposes.
1. Subscriber Control – you choose what you want to receive
2. Privacy – no need to release private information in order to subscribe (in most cases)
3. Scannable – easy to scan, saving time
4. No Filtering Issues – nothing is lost to spam filters
5. Reach – syndication expands a companies reach
1. Tracking – RSS is very difficult to reliably track
2. Metrics – accurate reporting is near impossible
3. Adoption – RSS adoption is still limited, not everyone has an RSS reader
1. One on One – designed for personalization
2. Compatibility – everyone can send and receive email
1. Spam – emails are lost in spam filters
2. More Spam – noise to sound ratio overwhelming
Perhaps this over simplifies the comparison but it clearly shows that the two communication methods excel in different areas.
August 27Chinese Blog Policy
Reporters Without Borders criticized the Chinese government for what the press advocacy group considers a move to end anonymous blogging in the communist country.
The government, through the Internet Society of China, recently drafted a pact that was signed by at least 20 major blog service providers in the country, including Yahoo and Microsoft.
The pact stops short [of] the previous project of making it obligatory for bloggers to register, but it can be used to force service providers to censor content and identify bloggers, the group said in a statement. The pact, unveiled Wednesday, signals an imminent new wave of censorship and repression, the group said.
Link Bait gets the readers attention here are some tips for demanding attention. Use titles and posts that:
- contrarian (argumentative)
- notable news
- notable resource